Blended learning including Hands-on lab days and final exams.
Select a location and date of your choice for the live labs. You can transfer your registration to another date/location at no additional cost up to 6 weeks prior to the event.
The program consists of 4 modules to be completed in order:
- CCFT I: Online Lecture Series (25 hours)
- CCFT II: Live Lab Series (3-day hands-on Live Lab)
- CCFT III: Case Studies
- CCFT IV: Online Exam
This program will provide an overview of the regulatory issues involved in this field of practice, canine anatomy and physiology, behavior, nutrition, first aid and emergency procedures, and an overview of pharmacology and pharmacologic precautions. An emphasis is included on the prevention and care of athletic injuries, canine strength and conditioning, therapeutic modalities, and assessment of fitness. Canine sports and working dogs and the requirements of their various sports and activities are also covered.
Our program offers the following advantages:
- The University of Tennessee Certificate Program in Canine Fitness is the only program for Canine Fitness to win the distinguished Outstanding Non-Credit Program Award by the Association for Continuing Higher Education.
- Successful Canine Conditioning programs that rely upon in-depth communication between the dog and handler.
- Commitment to presenting a comprehensive curriculum that provides a solid foundation upon which to develop a results-driven fitness program that utilizes a standardized fitness assessment on which to build and improve the practice of canine fitness and conditioning.
- Upon successful completion of the program and examination, participants receive the designation of Certified Canine Fitness Trainer (CCFT).
Dawn Hickey Rector, LVMT, VTS, CCRP, CVPP, CCFT, Darryl Millis, MS, DVM, DACVS, CCRP, David Levine, PT, PhD, DPT, Darrell Wilkerson, Canine Instructor and Trainer, John Nielsen, CVT, VTS, CVPP, CCRP, CCFT, Julie Albright, MA, DVM, DAVCB, Angela Witzel, DVM, PhD, DACVN, Jana Gams, DVM, CCRP, Oliver Harms, DVM, PhD, DECVSMR, DACVSMR, CCFT
Flexiness Fitness, FitPaws
Participants must complete all online lectures prior to attending live lab sessions.
The program is open to the following:
- Veterinary Technicians / Nurses
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Dog Behaviorists
- Certified Dog Trainers
- Performance Dog Trainers who have titled dogs in either: agility, obedience, rally obedience, IPO/protection sports, tracking, and/or field work at a level of open or above.
Dog Handling Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of dog handling experience must be provided (i.e. business license, trainer certifications, performance sport credentials, contracted work, etc.).
- Other proofs may be considered, but are not guaranteed to meet this requirement.
Basic Training Concepts
- Understand and be able to apply positive reinforcement training concepts (i.e. luring, shaping)
Please contact us with questions regarding eligibility:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +1 (801) 337-7887 (North America)
- Phone: +49 06073 / 725 983 (Europe, Asia, South America)
- Documented work experience in an animal healthcare facility, documented dog handling experience with proven track record, and/or 2-year Associates degree (minimum).
- Documentation of work experience or proof of degree is required.
- Require statement and signature that will not allow students to diagnose or prescribe.
- Program is only for conditioning, training, and exercise.
- Successful completion of online courses, text, hands-on workshops and participation, as well as completion of case studies is required prior to receiving certification. The title of CCFT cannot be used by students enrolled in the program. Use of CCFT credentials without successful completion of online coursework, text, hands-on workshop and participation, as well as completion of case studies will result in permanent exclusion from the program and future opportunities.
UT Student Discount
Special discounts are available for current University of Tennessee students. Please contact email@example.com for more information.